The purpose of this survey was to gather additional points of view to facilitate the development of a body of knowledge program.
Twenty seven IDPro members took a survey from June 1st to July 8th, 2018. Responses were voluntary and self-selecting. Despite being decidedly unscientific the results are valuable as we select goals and methods.
Respondents who indicated they would like to continue the dialog indicated their country. Respondents are from USA, Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
- Interest is evenly split between catering to entry level and experienced professionals.
- Self-paced course ware seems to be popular. Developing text as the reference mode should be done with courseware in mind.
- The most important other audience (other than ID Professionals) is clearly Enterprise Management. A substantial number of people, however, see the public as an important target.
- Infographics style should be used for both of the above audiences – probably with different content.
- There is a strong interest in continuing education at all levels of experience
- There is an opportunity to enable in-person training (how as yet unknown)
- Web based instructor led training is more important than in person training
- Self-paced online training is the preferred method of training.
- A majority of the respondents think certificate of completion would be valuable. But a significant portion does not see the value. Such an offering could be a stepping stone to a formal certification.
- See below for a priority ranking of high level topics and other suggested topics
- The split on the deep vs wide phasing question indicated that a hybrid approach may be advisable if it can be managed.
- The use of existing materials should be undertaken judiciously.
- Regarding sources of resources: This will need paid staff. There was a high expectation of volunteers (perhaps due to self-selection?) a significant belief that resources can be acquired from corporate and enterprise members.
- There was a strong belief that professional writers and editors are needed at least as part of the mix.
- The self-selected group is very sanguine about their firms’ interest in assisting.
Ordering of original topics
|2||Single Sign-On & Federation||4.25|
|4||Identity Governance and Administration||5.28|
|5||Customer Identity Services||5.80|
|7||Privileged Access Management||6.35|
|10||Laws & Regulations||8.21|
|11||Identity Analytics and Intelligence||8.32|
Other topics to consider
- Access Control (different from Access Management) with Service-to-Service flavor, User Context propagation
- API management, IoT device management
- Consent specifically apart from privacy might be useful
- Credential Management,
- Cyber Security patterns for all of the above
- Cybersecurity as applied to identity
- Directory Services and Identity Data Management,
- Global and Unified B2E, B2B, B2C IAM strategies for large enterprises
- Having a technical stream vs management stream might be a good way to go. Often you won’t have the same practitioners.
- IAM Program[me] Governance
- Intersecting identity and security
- Layered security with regards to authentication
- New trends and technologies
- Omni channel identification/ authentication
- Tools or best community practices
- Tools to assess identity systems such as score card assessments.
IDPro Board Member
On Monday, April 19, #IDPro is hosting a members-only #virtual #meetup at 5pm PDT/8pm EDT/10am AEST (12am UTC) - details provided in the #general channel in IDPro’s Slack workspace. Join us!
#Identity practitioners: Make your voice heard and complete the #IDPro 2021 Skills, Programs, and Diversity Survey by April 22 to contribute to creating an accurate representation of the digital identity industry: http://bit.ly/3eIpRKI #IAM
Visit our industry news page for the latest updates from #IDPro: https://idpro.org/news-and-events/industrynews/
Happy #Identity Management Day! The @idsalliance and the National Cyber Security Alliance created #IDMgmtDay to raise awareness about the importance of digital security. Learn how to get involved and celebrate the first ID Management Day: http://bit.ly/3c0rJNu @StaySafeOnline
With many employees working from home, #IAM is crucial for efficient business operations and protecting against risks of security threats, including #identity fraud. Discover the continuing impact the COVID pandemic is having on the identity landscape: https://bit.ly/3t1Ldr2